Notis

fredag 3 februari 2012

Bash script to backup data to magnetic tape

This is a bash script I wrote in 2010 and have been using ever since.
It backups data from a network storage to a magnetic tape.
I don't backup much data every time so this script will continue the backup on the same tape, I backup about 600MB and the tape I use is 72GB so I dont need to erase the tape very often.
I guess doing like this wont tear out the tape as fast as if I would write the same data to the beginning of the tape every time I'm doing a backup.

I have looked at some other scripts I found on the web, e.g. Vivek Gite's version, but it wasn't what I needed. I hope other people looking for this backup-method will find my script useful.

I run this script on debian stable and guess all the commands I use in this script is in debian stable by default.

Edit: I've put the script here: https://github.com/DomeDan/magnetic-tape-backup

2 kommentarer:

  1. Nej något smartare blev jag då inte, men fick orken att fortsätta iaf :) Det bästa hade varit om det fanns ett piller så att man fick för sig att skiten var rolig, haha, DÅ skulle jag nog lära mig :) Ska ha med smörgås och choklad på tentan, då blir det socker på mätt mage :)

    SvaraRadera
  2. för att skingra mystiken så var det mig och inte Domedan som svaret var menat till (svar på kommentar på http://bellathebean.blogg.se/2012/february/karlstad.html )

    SvaraRadera